[It’s the end of the school day and Ann walks into her house in a huff. She goes right to her room hoping no one will follow. With the day she had she plans to somehow let all the pain go. Meanwhile Mom follows Ann into her room, curious of the mood her daughter is in.]
MOM
[Mom walks into the room with a curious yet cheerful voice]
How was school, Ann?
ANN
[Screaming but crying as well]
Get out of my room, Mom!!!
MOM
[calmly]
You don’t have to scream at me. I just simply asked how your day was. Excuse me for being interested in your life.
ANN
[quietly but with attitude]
You don’t care.
MOM
If I didn’t care would I really be up here asking you.
ANN
[annoyed]
Whatever….
MOM
Where did my Ann go? You have just built up this attitude and I can’t grasp how. How can someone as friendly as you get such an attitude and why?
ANN
[sarcastically]
I don’t know. Why don’t you read it in the parent manual?
MOM
Funny….you know, I would like some respect around here.
ANN
Mom you treat me like I’m four, like I don’t understand the world. You treat me like I can’t handle any responsibilities or just anything. When will you get over the fact that I’m not like my brother. I do not get straight A’s and well…I have a life.
MOM
That’s not even fair. You really think that I compare all you kids. I know that you are all individuals but that doesn’t mean that you get away with anything you want.
ANN
I don’t think that!!! Just go away, Mom!!! Why can’t you leave me alone!!! I want to be alone!!!
MOM
Just talk to me please. I want to know what’s going on.
ANN
You don’t understand me.
MOM
[getting a bit impatient]
What do you mean I don’t understand you? I’m your mother for heaven’s sake!
ANN
[starting to cry now]
No really, Mom, you don’t get it. I don’t get it. I wish I could figure it out myself…but…but I can’t.
MOM
I don’t understand. Just tell me what’s going on in that head of yours.
ANN
Mom, something’s wrong with me.
MOM
Ok. Go on.
ANN
I can’t help it but I just…I think I’m depressed. I’ve been getting so down. I cry then laugh, I’m happy then sad. It changes so fast and I don’t know what to do anymore. I ache all over and I don’t even want to go on.
MOM
[starting to walk to the door]
It’s probably just PMS sweetie. You’ll be fine, don’t worry about it. I’m going to go make dinner for everyone okay.
ANN
[very upset]
See I told you that you don’t understand me!
MOM
[being simple- minded]
What honey?
ANN
Nothing Mom, it’s just too complicated.
[Ann is now left in her room and begins to write in her journal with anger and confusion.]
ANN
[reading out loud as writing]
I don’t understand it. Why do I have to feel like nothing is going right in my life and that it’s all just going downhill. I have so much built up inside I just don’t even know what to do anymore. I feel so lost and empty. I know I have a good life but it just feels like it slowly being taken away. Why won’t my mom just listen to me? I need her. I hate saying that but I do. I need her to talk to and to rest my head on; someone to vent to instead of writing it all down in this stupid diary.
[From downstairs you hear Mom calling Ann for dinner.]
MOM
Ann! It’s time for dinner! Annn…….Annnnnn!!!!Dinnnner time! Ann!!!! It’s time for dinner!!
[Ann doesn’t respond. She is in her room crying very hard. Mom goes up to check on her.]
MOM
[walking in Ann’s room talking]
Ann I called you for din….Ann….Ann [then noticing Ann crying so she goes over to comfort her] Honey it’s ok. Did a boy break your heart? Ann did you get a bad grade? Oh honey, do you have cramps…I’ll go get Midol.
ANN
It’s not cramps, Mom. I told you I’m depressed. I think I need help. Just talk to me please. I don’t know what to do anymore. Please, Mom, what should I do?
MOM
[absolutely serious]
Do you want to go to Chuckie Cheese? That always makes things better.
ANN
Mom I’m seventeen years old and I’m depressed. I’m not five and sad because my fish died.
MOM
Yeah, you were pretty upset with that, honey.
ANN
MOM!!![getting very irritated now and raising her voice] Will you please just listen to me!? I need to talk to someone and I can’t talk to my friends because they wouldn’t understand. [mumbling under her breath] as if you do though.
MOM
What Ann? I didn’t hear that last thing you said. Ok so um…. Your upset and…de…de…presssssed and aaaaa…..
ANN
[furious and speaking with loud anger now]
I can’t talk to my friends because they won’t understand!
MOM
Sweetie, sweetie, calm down its okay. [breaking out in the song “Don’t Worry ‘bout a Thing”] Don’t worry ‘bout a thing…… because every little thing is gonna be alright….don’t worr…
ANN
Mom!!!!! This is definitely not a time for your singing [under her breath] my ears already hurt enough.
MOM
[speaking in a rambling way, really fast]
I’m just trying to lighten the mood. You’re just so out of it today and I just can’t put my finger on why so I thought if I do stuff that would make you laugh then you would just snap out of it and I wouldn’t have to think anymore.
ANN
[annoyed and angry]
Okay if you were listening to me at all today you would know that I am depressed and that is what is wrong with me. I ache and can’t even get out of bed some days. That is not normal. It’s also not normal to not feel like hanging out with your friends. [calmer voice] I know I need help. Can you please try and understand that?
MOM
Okay so you really do feel depressed then?
ANN
Yes Mom and its embarrassing to admit but I know I am and I need to get help.
MOM
Well I suppose we could bring you into the doctors and see what they think. Would that be a good start for you?
ANN
Yes! That’s exactly what I need. Thanks for listening finally, Mom.
MOM
Oh yeah it’s what I do best. Now let’s go eat dinner okay.
ANN
I love you Mom.
MOM
I love you too, sweetie.Now let's go make cookies for inspiration. Come on.
ANN
[rolling her eyes and saying sarcastically]
Oh boy! I feel inspired already.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This story sucked me in and I didn't make in pauses while reading it. It's well laid out and realistic, dealing with normal problems that many other people go through. ITSSSSS LEGGIITTT!
p.s. i love you
lol lets go make cookies that makes everything feel better maybe i need to make allergy hating cookies
but seriously that is a good story and its legit and some people can actually relate to it
Post a Comment